There are currently no job opportunities available at this time.
Summer Visitor Centre Counsellor/Tourism Events & Social Media Assistant - Filled for 2016
The Summerland Chamber of Commerce promotes the development of tourism in Summerland by serving more than 12,000 visitors each season in our Visitor Centre and through our online marketing suite. Our summer Visitor Centre Counsellor/Tourism Events & Social Media Assistant is a key role dedicated to customer service excellence.
At this time we are seeking 1 full time summer staff for 17 weeks to start May 9th. Position involves weekend work and holidays and extends through the Labour Day weekend.
This position is funded through the Canada Summer Job program and is geared to young people who are full-time post-secondary students intending to return to their studies in September. Students with disabilities, Aboriginal students and students who are members of visible minority groups are also encouraged` to apply.
Applicants will require the following qualifications:
· Proven excellent interpersonal and public relations skills to deal courteously and appropriately with people
· Ability to engage with people, hear their stories and ask interested questions
· Interested in tourism, people, history and culture
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Strong computer skills; knowledge of Microsoft Office
· Knowledge of and experience using social media
· Exceptional telephone skills and organizational ability
· Able to work independently
· Ability to work well under pressure and demonstrate initiative
· Photography skills and/or experience with video cameras or video on cell phone are an asset
The Summerland Visitor Centre Counsellor/Social Media Assistant is responsible for the following types of duties. Summer staff is cross trained to provide the maximum exposure to new skills and to provide variety and interest in their work day.
- Greet guests with a thousand-watt smile
- Provide excellent visitor and customer service both internally and externally
- Be well-informed and ready to promote Summerland tourism experiences
- Answer visitor enquiries by mail, phone, email and in-person
- Respond very quickly to all social media enquiries
- Photograph, catalog and upload visual records of tourism property inventory/events/local activities, etc.
- Create occasional short (10 second videos) for use on social media/tourism web site
- Occasionally visit local attractions and accommodations to update photo and data catalog of tourism properties
- Professionally represent the Visitor Centre while engaging with tourists outside the office
- Daily updating of events & tourism activities on tourism website
- Review publications and news sources for upcoming events and news of interest to visitors
- Keep brochure racks well-stocked and organized and re-order as necessary
- Post current information of interest to visitors such as Tourist Alerts, roads, and weather reports
- Promote local tourism products, businesses, services and events
- Plan travel itineraries in response to visitor inquiries, encourage longer stays in the community, region and province as well as encourage return visits
- Ability to close a sale, book accommodation and tours, and sell retail products
- Use discretion and judgment in dealing with confidential/sensitive documents and inquiries
- Conduct general office and grounds tidiness
- Operate/maintain office equipment (copier, fax, and printers)
- Additional projects as required
Please email resume and cover letter detailing your relevant experience to: Shannon Brilz, Visitor Centre Coordinator email@example.com.
Deadline for applications is April 22 @ 4:00 pm. No phone calls or walk-ins please.
We thank all applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.